Now includes ICD-10 instruction.
Note: As a result of the recent passage of the Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014, the implementation of ICD-10 codes has been delayed until October 1, 2015.
The medical industry is experiencing a tremendous demand for individuals with knowledge of medical office operations, which includes billing and coding, processing insurance forms, and using medical software. The Administrative Medical Specialist with Medical Billing and Coding will give you the skills you need to find the job YOU are looking for as an Administrative Medical Specialist (AMS), Medical Billing Specialist, Medical Coder, and/or Medical Office Manager.
Prerequisite: Students should be proficient in keyboarding, have a basic understanding of a word-processing computer program (Microsoft Word is recommended), and have a command of English grammar and punctuation. While no healthcare work experience is required, it is recommended that students have knowledge of anatomy and physiology. Students must have a high school diploma or equivalent in order to sit for national certification exams.
Please Note: This course can only be taken on a PC. This program is not Mac compatible.
In addition to the extensive Medical Billing and Coding instruction, you will learn all the tasks and skills for an Administrative Medical Specialist, including those in the "front office" and the Business Office. These include, but are not limited to:
- Communicate in the healthcare industry, including therapeutic and multicultural communication
- Reduce occupational hazards in the workplace, including blood-borne pathogens
- Safeguard patient confidentiality in the computerized medical office, discover the importance of the medical record, and learn the ambulatory use of the electronic medical record (EMR)
- Screen and take appropriate messages and fax confidential information
- Use different types of patient scheduling systems
- Recognize the contents of the medical record
- Learn the aspects of payables and receivables and become familiar with bookkeeping and practice management software
This program will prepare you for the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant/Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CMAA/CBCS) dual-certification exams offered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) once all other eligibility requirements have been met. This course includes study guide materials, access to practice exams, and the registration fees for the CMAA and CBCS exams. Students must schedule exams and select a testing location directly through NHA. Note: KSU serves as a testing location for the Medical Billing and Coding Specialist classroom-based certificate program only. Eligibility requirements can be found on the NHA website at www.nhanow.com. This course will also help students prepare for the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam offered by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC).
- Delmar’s Administrative Medical Assistant, 5th edition
- A Guide to Health Insurance Billing, 4th edition
- 2013 Coding Workbook for the Physician’s Office
- 2014 CPT Standard Edition
- 2014 HCPCS Level II
- ICD-10-CM: The Complete Official Draft Code Set
- Official CPC Certification Study Guide, 4th edition
- ICD-9-CM Expert for Physician’s, Volumes 1 & 2 , 2014
- Merriam-Webster's Medical Desk Dictionary
- Medical Terminology for Health Professions
Please Note: This course includes 60 hours of medical terminology training. If you already have medical terminology training or experience you may request a course discount to take the course without these 60 hours of medical terminology instruction. Please contact the Online Department at 770-499-3355 for more information about this option.
View the course syllabus
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: You will need a computer with Internet connection and email, and MS Word or Wordperfect software. A Macintosh computer will not work for this course.
You will receive a password and log-in information via email within 3-5 business days of registering for this course. Course materials are included and will be mailed to you within 10 business days. You have 12 months to complete this course. You must make an 70 or higher as your final grade to successfully complete the course and receive a certificate of completion.
There are no refunds for this course.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-3355 or email@example.com.