Our Legal Transcription Certificate program provides the most effective way to become a legal secretary-transcriptionist. The program consists of two classes, Understanding the Law & Legal Transcriptionist. Legal transcriptionists prepare legal documents from both written and dictated information. In this course, you will learn the basics of the law as a profession, the history behind the practice of the law, and the composition of the court systems. You will also gain an overview of different law specialties. This program is self-paced and 100% online. It includes information on the profession, how a law office works, fundamentals of law, court systems and litigation, specialty law, and several hours of actual legal dictation to develop transcription mastery. Transcription requires a foot pedal, which is included with your enrollment.
You will complete the following modules included in the program:
Understanding the Law
- Introduction to the Law
- The Court System & The Attorney
- Administrative Law & Crimes
- Torts & Contracts
- Application of Law to the Individual
- Renters, Landlords & Home Ownership
- Employer/Employee Law & Estate Planning
- Typing Practice & Improvement
- Civil Litigation Transcription
- Probate Practice Transcription
- Family Law Transcription
- Legal Instruments Transcription
- Bankruptcy & Appellate Procedure Transcription
- Understanding the Law by Donald L. Carper & John a. McKinsey
- Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 18 Software
- Legal Transcription (with CD-ROMs) by Linda r. Lyle and G. Howard Doty
- Digital Transcription Equipment: Headset, Foot Pedal and Software
- Handbook of Basic Law Terms (pocketbook), Bryan A. Gardner
View the course syllabus
For our online course refund policy, click here.
Requirements: You will need a computer with a high-speed internet connection and email.
- Windows hardware configurations and processors are acceptable.
- Mac computers MUST have Microsoft Window Operating Systems over Bootcamp (Bootcamp is a free download from Apple's website).
- 1 GB RAM recommended
- Software Operating Systems: Windows XP or Vista and Mac OS X 10 and higher with Windows
- Web Browsers: Google Chrome Recommended -- Safari, Internet Explorer & FireFox are not currently recommended as they cannot display certain Moodle editing menus for both students and instructors
- Adobe PDF Reader
- Media Plug-ins (These may be required depending on your course media-click on the links below to download the latest versions): Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Apple Quicktime, Windows Media Player, Real Player, PowerPoint Viewer (use this if you don't have PowerPoint)
You will receive a password and log-in information via email within 3-5 business days of registering for this course. Course materials are included and will be mailed to you within 10 business days. You have 12 months to complete this course. You must make an 80 or higher as your final grade to successfully complete the course and receive a certificate of completion.
There are no refunds for this course.
If you have questions about this course, please contact the online coordinator at 470-578-3355 or email@example.com.