This course provides practice with the tools and techniques required to solve common PC hardware and software problems. A combination of lecture and hands on exercises include step-by-step repair and maintenance of the PC, optimizing the PC's performance and working with and understanding Windows operating systems. Classroom time is focused on PC operating concepts, troubleshooting hardware, and installing system software.
For anyone interested in the CompTIA certification, our certified instructor will provide up to date information on how to best prepare for the exams. CompTIA certification validates the latest skills needed by computer support professionals. The exams cover technical skills such as installation, configuration, diagnosing, preventive maintenance and basic networking, as well as soft skills like security, safety, environmental issues, communication and professionalism.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants should be able to:
Audience: Those interested in becoming computer support technicians or moving into the information technology field.
Prerequisite: You must have experience using a PC.
- Identify the major internal and external components of a PC
- Avoid electrostatic discharge
- Install and upgrade central processing units (CPUs)
- Install and explain the varieties of random access memory (RAM)
- Describe the function of BIOS and adjust the CMOS setup
- Explain, install, and troubleshoot expansion cards and motherboards
- Maintain and troubleshoot power supplies
- Describe and install ATA, SCSI, and RAID hard drive interfaces
- Install, partition, and format hard drives
- Identify, install, and maintain removable media (floppy drives, flash drives, and optical media)
- Install sound and video cards and software
- Install, upgrade, and troubleshoot Windows
- Explain how to support input/output ports and devices
- Troubleshoot portable computing devices
- Manage and fix common printer problems
- Explain wired and wireless networks
- Use tools related to the Internet
- Describe how to implement security measures
- Establish good communication and customer service skills