This course will provide you with the necessary skills to conduct thorough interviews with complainants, witnesses and public safety agency personnel. It is designed to help you increase your ability to discern truth from deception.
We will instruct you on investigative qualities that an individual must possess in order to be an effective interviewer. We will discuss aspects of the human communication process and how interviewers can use this process to establish rapport and gain information from an interviewee. In addition, we’ll teach you the cognitive interview technique to enable you to obtain the maximum amount of information from witnesses.
- Garrity and the interview process
- Complete a personal listening profile
- Preparing for and conducting interviews
- Questioning technique scenarios
- Verbal communication process
- Methods of interviewing
- Cognitive interview techniques
- Body language and behavior betrayals
Officers assigned to administrative and internal affairs investigations; personnel assigned to professional compliance units; law enforcement and public safety administrators; and human resource and city/county managers who are involved in the investigation and background process