In this fast-paced 2-day class, you will learn techniques that will prepare you for the challenges associated with indoor and outdoor flash photography and available light outdoor shooting. We will teach you how to turn your agency provided camera into a tool that you can control in order to capture scenes as you observe them, rather than settling for what the camera automatically records.
As the focus of the course is on intermittent, low light, or no light photography, class will begin in the afternoon hours and continue into the late evening, allowing you to use your camera with flash photography. On the second day, the emphasis will turn to daytime outdoor crime scenes and you will learn how to adjust your camera settings to record mock crimes scenes ranging from vehicles to persons with injuries.
You will be required to participate in hands-on exercises to reinforce the techniques taught in the classroom. Following each exercise, the instructor will conduct a brief review of your work and aid you in reconciling any challenges you encountered.
- Controlling your ISO for maximum effect while maintaining courtroom-quality photos
- Basics of flash photography
- Nighttime outdoor flash photography
- Timed exposures
- Multiple flash techniques
- Painting with light
- Maximizing the available light at the daytime crime scene
- Program shooting mode versus “green happy auto-land” shooting
- Exposure compensation - the other brightening control
- “Fill flash” techniques for daytime usage
- Aperture priority shooting mode
- Documenting footwear and tire tread patterns with flash during the daytime
You will need to bring your agency’s departmentally-issued camera, the camera’s external flash (if available), a flashlight for the outdoor nighttime photos as well as a laptop computer and card reader to review your photographs during the class. A tripod is also recommended.
Newly assigned and seasoned detectives, investigations supervisors, crime scene technicians, medical examiner and coroner investigators, military investigative personnel