This course will arm you with a solid foundation to efficiently and effectively manage a variety of major case situations including multi-incident investigations, cross-jurisdictional cases, mass arrest projects, and more.
We will take you through the process of handling major cases beginning with the policies and infrastructure that should be in place before a situation occurs. We will examine a typical major case organizational structure and discuss the effective use of chain of command in both single agency and multi-agency situations.
Next we will take you step-by-step through the various components of major case management. You will learn how to handle the initial crisis, manage the crime scene, allocate personnel, track the leads and the investigation, coordinate the assisting agencies, and handle the news media. We will also discuss the pros and cons surrounding the use of 24-hour hotlines, citizen volunteers, confidential sources, special prosecutors, and others.
Throughout the course, you will learn about the state and federal resources available to you during these investigations. You will also learn the case reporting and documentation that should be completed along the way so that proper evaluation and debriefing can be done upon the conclusion of operations.
• Major case management goals and objectives
• Types and components of major cases
• Multiple incident or “crime pattern” investigations
• Extended resource/long term investigations
• Multi-jurisdictional major cases
• Undercover and sting operations
• Mass arrest projects
• Operational and support functions
• Communications plan and information management
• Lead management and follow-up
• Single agency and multi-agency task force operations
• Mutual aid agreements and memorandums of understanding
• Special problems and common errors
• State and federal resources
• After action reporting and debriefing
Audience: New and veteran investigative unit supervisors, patrol supervisors seeking command responsibilities, division commanders, agency executives
Course length: 24 hours
If you are
registering anyone other than yourself,
DO NOT USE THE “Add to cart”
the registration form above and return one, via mail,
for each student. Each registration must be accompanied by full payment.