|Human Resource Essentials
An introduction to the challenging and ever-changing field of human resources, this overview class will use real-life case studies as a basis for discussing HR’s role and its potential impact on an organization. The class will cover acronyms and jargon used in the profession; the competencies required to be successful as an HR practitioner; an explanation of available HR certifications; and an overview of the HR Certificate program. This course is required prior to attending other HR certification courses.
At the completion of this course, students should know and be able to:
- Identify HR acronyms and jargon
- Define human capital and explain its importance to the organization
- Define and explain the role of HR in the following areas and the challenges in each, including:
- Strategic Management
- Workforce Planning and Employment
- Human Resource Development
- Total Rewards
- Employee and Labor Relations
- Risk Management
- Explain the key competencies needed by HR professionals and why certification is important.
- Discuss current challenges facing HR
- List common ethical issues faced by HR professionals
- Identify industry certifications
Individuals seeking to enter the field of human resources; non-HR professionals in supervisory roles who have the responsibility for interviewing, training, evaluating, or disciplining employees; and new or experienced managers interested in learning more about efficient employee management skills.