Helena College is committed to putting quality drivers on the road by providing a comprehensive CDL truck driver training program, using curriculum standards that address skills, theory/knowledge, tasks, and duties that are required by entry-level commercial motor vehicle drivers. This program prepares students to obtain their Class A Manual Transmission Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
Theory - 90 hours (Includes lab time)
• Basic Operation
• Safe Operating Procedures
• Advanced Operating Practices
• Vehicle Systems and Reporting Malfunctions
• Non-Vehicle Activities
• Log books
• Air Brake Restrictions
Behind The Wheel - 30 Hours
Times/Dates: To be arranged with instructor after successfully passing Learner’s Permit exam
• Class A CDL students must have 30 hours of BTW time in a combination of range and road with a minimum of 10 hours of “vehicle maneuvers/skills/range” and 10 hours of “road” time.
• Class B CDL students must have a minimum of 15 hours of BTW driving with at least 7 hours on the public road.
• Endorsements: Other endorsements may be available upon request such as; Doubles/Triples, Tank, and HAZMAT.
• Valid Montana Class D Driver’s License – manual transmission experience required
• Be at least 18 years-old for intrastate; 21 years-old interstate
• Obtain a DOT Physical through a DOT Certified Medical Examiner ($60-$150)
o Click HERE for a listing of local DOT Certified Medical Examiners
o Attach Certified Medical Examiner’s proof of DOT Physical to program application
• Pass criminal background check
o Click https://doj.egovmt.com/choprs/ and under Public Users click on Start Service
o Cost is $20; pay online with eCheck, credit card, or debit card
o Print background check document and attach to program application
• Have a clean driving record
o Click HERE and choose Public User and select 1- to obtain my own driving record
o Cost is $7.87; pay online with eCheck, credit card, or debit card
o Print motor vehicle record document and attach to program application
Drug Test Required
After your application is accepted, you will be required to complete a DOT drug screen at Drug Information Systems, Inc.
• Take the test 3-7 business days before class start.
• Schedule by phone at 406-444-5001 or email firstname.lastname@example.org - they often take walk-ins, inquire first.
• Cost is $59, specify that the test is for the Helena College CDL program
• Results will be sent directly to HC Community Education Center
If you are interested in the course and considering registration, you will be required to attend one of the CDL Orientation Sessions. In the Orientation, you will learn more about the class and application process, employment opportunities, and other important considerations. Information session date: Monday, June 6 at 5:30pm. Please call to RSVP.
These are to be turned in to the Continuing Education office. ONLY COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Click here to print application or you may pick up a copy in person at the college: 1115 N. Roberts, Room 113.
Additional schedule notes:
Dates listed are for Mon -Thurs evenings. Additional drive time may be required for another week in order to ensure preparedness for final exam.
Need more information?
1115 North Roberts - Room 113
Helena, Montana 59601
Monday - Friday; 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Director Ryan Loomis
Summary of Important Dates
|Mon, June 6; 5:30pm
|Mon, June 27; noon
||Application Deadline (Include copy of current license, background check, driving history and physical. Once these items are submitted and accepted, you will then make your appointment for a Drug Screening.)
|Fri, July 1; 3pm
||Full Payment/Funding approval due
|Mon, July 11; 5pm