While investigators have been obtaining information from people involved in traffic crashes, few investigators have successfully “interviewed” people involved in such collisions. We will show you how to apply proven techniques for interviews and interrogations in order to achieve a successful prosecution of the person or persons determined to be at fault in the collision.
The course is designed to help guide you through the interview and/or interrogation process and help you obtain accurate information from the drivers, occupants, pedestrians and other witnesses to the traffic collision.
- Analysis of the interview process
- The role of the interviewer
- Developing a systematic approach to the interview
- Developing questions for drivers, occupants, pedestrians and witnesses
- Placing the interviewee at ease
- Why the interviewer needs to be a good listener
- Maintaining control of the interview
- Safeguarding against police misconduct in the interview process
- Checking for non-verbal responses (body language)
- Ending the interview correctly
Law enforcement and private traffic crash investigators, claims adjusters, engineers, attorneys, safety officers, military investigative personnel
IPTM's Interviewing Techniques for the Traffic Crash Investigator course is eligible for 40 ACTAR CEUs.