This course will teach you advanced techniques in mapping scene features, including 3-D topography, landscape mapping, 3-D vehicle modeling, and vehicle crush mapping. Through hands-on applications, you will learn the proper methodology of mapping these various conditions and integrating them into computer-aided diagramming software.
You will also be introduced to advanced concepts of computer diagramming and modeling to fully replicate a collision or crime scene in three dimensions (3-D). We will show you the proper procedures for testing and downloading the resulting data.
As part of the course, you will take part in a number of “hands-on” outdoor exercises which involve locating and measuring evidence in a variety of field conditions using the laser mapping equipment.
To successfully complete this course, you will be required to pass a written exam and successfully map a scene.
- Review of Reference Points and their applications in advanced techniques
- Review of Accuracy Confirmation Shots
- Repositioning of instrument within the scene through common points, traverse, three-point repositioning
- 3-D Terrain Mapping
- Damaged Vehicle Mapping
- 3-D Vehicle Modeling
- Downloading data and rendering a scale diagram
Law enforcement and private crash investigators and reconstructionists as well as crime scene investigators who are trained and familiar with the operation of laser mapping systems
IPTM’s Forensic Scene Mapping Using Lasers course
What to Bring
- The laser mapping system on which you have been trained.
- Laptop computer with administrative privileges
IPTM's Advanced Forensic Scene Mapping Using Lasers course is eligible for 40 ACTAR CEUs.