This course will teach you how to recognize and interpret traffic crash evidence as it relates to occupant seating positions. We will show you how to determine the occupant movement from the crash damage and the subsequent injuries that resulted.
We will illustrate the basics of occupant movement and teach you how to ascertain the direction of movement during a collision. You will learn how to determine occupant seating positions and safety belt usage and we will examine the significance of airbag and other restraint deployments.
We’ll show you how to read the medical records that can be obtained with a warrant as well as autopsy reports of the injuries sustained by the vehicle’s occupants so you can understand how they relate to the investigation. When correlated with the vehicle damage, these reports can provide further evidence of occupant positions and movement.
Actual crashes will be used as case studies to allow you to put the theories into practice. This course is designed for traffic crash investigators who have a good working knowledge of the techniques and applications of formulas taught in basic crash investigation courses.
- Calculation of PDOF
- Occupant movement
- Types of injury - contact and non-contact
- Injury forces
- Vehicle interior examination
- Injury terminology
- Occupant protection systems
- Reading medical and autopsy records
- Calculation of delta V
Law enforcement and private traffic crash investigators, claims adjusters, engineers, attorneys, safety officers, military investigative personnel, animators and graphic designers
What to Bring
- Scientific calculator
- Traffic template
You must have completed, at a minimum, IPTM’s Traffic Crash Reconstruction course or its equivalent.
IPTM's Occupant Kinematics for the Traffic Crash Reconstructionist course is eligible for 40 ACTAR CEUs.
What Our Students Are Saying
- “The case studies brought all of the material together for an even better understanding.” – K.R.
- “Great course. I will be able to apply what I learned in class to most, if not all, of my cases. The instructors were able to make the medical information understandable for a person with no medical background.” – G.S.
- “I learned a lot from this course! Highly recommend this course to anybody investigating crashes involving serious injury or death. I will now be able to look at crashes differently and have a better understanding of who was sitting where!” – G.C.
- “Life-changing! This class has expanded my knowledge for traffic crash reconstruction. I hope that our department will eventually send the entire team.” – K.J.
- “One of the best classes I have attended. Excellent information that I will be able to apply immediately.” – Det. T. C.
- “The entire course was beneficial. Both instructors are very good with teaching and made it easier to grasp!!” – Dep. P. M.
- “Great class. I appreciated the videos and case studies. This is a great course for any traffic crash reconstructionist.” – Det. J.G.
- “Both instructors were very knowledgeable and used relevant examples as well as humor to engage the class.” – Trooper S. P.