During this course, we will provide you with valuable information regarding police service K-9 unit expectations and capabilities. You will learn how to structure a K-9 unit and how to select and train K-9 teams. Unique leadership strategies involving team building exercises will be an integral part of the class.
We will examine the care and maintenance as well as retirement and replacement decisions for the police service K-9. We will also discuss the specialized budgetary and records management responsibilities of the K-9 unit. Finally, we will provide you with legal updates and policy development as they relate to this unit.
- Evolution of the police service K-9
- Police service dog capabilities
- Leadership strategies
- Structuring a K-9 unit
- Selection and expectations of K-9 teams
- Training for a police service K-9
- Team building development
- Care and maintenance for a police service K-9
- Records management
- Retirement and replacement decisions for a police service K-9
- K-9 legal updates and policy development
New supervisors to a police service K-9 program, newly appointed K-9 supervisors and experienced supervisors who want to enhance their managerial skills in a specialized K-9 unit
What to Bring
We strongly recommend bringing a laptop for group activities.
K-9s are not permitted to attend this course.
What Our Students Are Saying
- “Well put together and relevant for my duties, good for someone who has never been handler.” – R.M.
- “Great course – many of the questions I had upon arrival were covered in course material, and I’m leaving with many takeaways to try out and make my program better. Well worth the time and money to attend. I’m better prepared to manage the canine program at my department.” – M.S.
- “Participation and information discussed up to date and extremely useful.” – M.B.
- “This course is explained the importance of policy, handler selection, K-9 selection, and liability.” – J.C.
- “Course was highly informative and detailed. Covered all aspect of a K-9 unit.” – H.G.
- “Instructors incredibly knowledgeable and personable. Information very relevant. This class was excellent.” – A.W.
- “Both instructors have a wealth of knowledge and experience. Broken down into easily understandable segments.” – S.L.