This course will provide you with the knowledge and skills to conduct objective, thorough, and legally sustainable applicant background investigations reflective of the professional standards of your agency.
The training will guide you through the relevant Federal and State Statutes; up-to-date case law and Supreme Court decisions; and administrative regulations surrounding the selection and employment of personnel. We will also detail Federal and State fair employment laws; public records requirements; EEOC employment guidelines; and ADA legislation and the impact of these regulations on the applicant background investigation and applicant selection.
You will learn which private and governmental internet search engines can provide the most useful background information and data; the type of information to expect from a psychological evaluation; proper procedures for drug screening; and techniques for conducting interviews of applicants, references, previous employers, friends and neighbors. We will also address how to properly document the investigative findings in a comprehensive report.
At the conclusion of the course, you will participate in a practical exercise designed to simulate the applicant background investigative process.
- Role of the background investigator
- Identifying job dimensions
- Background policy and procedure
- Legal issues in background investigations
- ADA and hiring
- Psychological screening
- Veteran’s preference
- Drug screening
- Sources of information and data
- Conducting the background investigation
- Proper interviewing techniques
- Factual and objective background reports
- Practical exercise
Public safety, law enforcement, corrections, human resources, and communications personnel who are involved in the application for employment process, to include: applicant testing or assessment, the interview of applicants, the applicant background investigation, and/or the selection of applicants for employment
What Our Students Are Saying
- “Instructors were very approachable and encouraged feedback and class participation. They had a wealth of knowledge and experience related to subject matter.” – S.C.
- “Very good course. Excellent reference material. Thank you!” – Lt. G.D.
- “I found many useful tools to make my backgrounds more thorough. I learned a lot of things my agency could improve on when conducting backgrounds and things that we could do to protect ourselves legally.” – B.I.
- “Great course for a new investigator or seasoned. Discussion and input from others was encouraged. Great for learning.” – A.L.
- “One of the best courses I attended in my 20+ years of law enforcement.” – M.R.
- “The instructor was extremely knowledgeable, both academically and applicable experience. He was an expert in this field and did a great job keeping the class interesting, oven through some dry material.” R.T. Background Investigator
- “Instructors were up-to-date on current laws and procedures. I enjoyed the class.” – Det. M.R.
- “The information provided was excellent. It was information overload in a positive way. Excellent instructor. Very knowledgeable. Well Done. A+” – Det. Sgt. M.C.
- “Amazing course. Very informative and gives you a lot to think about. The handouts make a great reference manual.” – Sgt. F.S.G.
- The class and instruction were outstanding.” J.T. Lieutenant, IA Commander
- “The class clears up a lot of areas that I had no prior training on. I feel more confident in conducting background investigations. This class is very thorough.” Cpl. B.T., Training/Recruitment
- “This course provided updated materials and innovative ways of doing background investigations.” – Sgt. T.H.