This comprehensive course has been designed for newly assigned internal affairs officers/supervisors; experienced internal affairs officers who want to update their skills; civilian internal affairs investigators; and administrators/managers who want to understand how internal affairs investigations should be conducted. It has been designed to present a model procedures approach for the needs and requirements of small, medium, and large public safety agencies.
Upon successful completion, you will have acquired the knowledge of investigative techniques and the understanding of legal guidelines necessary to function as internal affairs investigators to include cases that concern criminal violations and officer-involved shootings.
We will take you step-by-step through the process of conducting professional, thorough, and objective administrative and internal affairs investigations, as well as specialized investigation of sexual harassment and hostile workplace complaints.
Individual blocks of instruction will present in-depth information on the latest court rulings and nationally accepted procedures surrounding the complaint process and internal affairs investigations; employee rights; social media policies and guidelines; relevant administrative laws related to record-keeping; and the releasing of information to the media.
We will also present you with unique, effective interview techniques to prepare for and conduct interviews of complainants, witnesses, and accused officers.
- Ethics and integrity in public safety
- IA policy, rules, and procedures
- Complaint intake and processing
- Integrity testing/stings
- Investigation of personnel complaints
- Preparing for and conducting interviews
- Case file preparation, records systems and early intervention systems
- Sexual harassment and hostile workplace investigations
- Legal issues and case law
- Officer-involved shootings and in-custody death investigations
- Body worn cameras
- Group projects and presentations
Officers assigned to administrative and internal affairs investigations; personnel assigned to professional compliance units; law enforcement and public safety administrators; and human resource and city/county managers who oversee the personnel assigned to a law enforcement or public safety agency.
This course is restricted to sworn and non-sworn law enforcement personnel.
What Our Students Are Saying
- “Provided information necessary to conduct the investigation coupled with excellent class discussion and practical exercises.” – W.R.
- “IA policies, administrative law, and the class projects were extremely useful and informative.” – B.C.
- “Covers all aspects of internal affairs/provides examples of documents to use on thumb drive.” – C.B.
- “I have been doing this assignment for some time and the course was a good refresher. It assured me that my agency was doing many things correct. I also learned areas to work on or change to improve the process.” – Lt. M.B.
- "Great class. I was impressed how relevant and up to date all the material presented was. Instructors obviously care about the course. Bravo!" – T.M.
- “Class was very organized. As a new commander of our IA unit, I feel this class has tremendously prepared me for my responsibilities. The instructors were great!!” – C.C.
- “Verified our current policy, procedures and practices are correct and up to date. All AI investigators should attend this course ASAP of entering the unit.” – J.E.
- “Excellent setting and facilities for the class. I really enjoyed the course material and presentation. This will definitely help me in my new position as an IA Detective at my agency.” –Det. B.L. (I.A.)