This course will teach you how to skillfully recognize and properly evaluate impaired driving suspects, from the initial observation of the vehicle to the arrest and processing of the suspect.
Beginning with the detection of the impaired driver and the standardized sobriety testing procedures commissioned by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the course will also cover enforcement strategies and issues surrounding Miranda and Implied Consent. In addition, you will learn how to properly document your observations for courtroom presentation.
- DUI visual detection
- Legal aspects of DUI enforcement
- Standardized field sobriety testing (to include horizontal gaze nystagmus)
- Proper documentation techniques
- Sobriety checkpoints (Roadblocks)
- Video issues
- Two NHTSA recommended drinking exercises
Patrol officers, DUI investigators and supervisors, prosecutors - Class is restricted to current, active law enforcement and prosecutors employed by a governmental agency.
What Our Students Are Saying
- “Instructors were phenomenal.” – L.D.
- “The course increases officer confidence while conducting SFSTs.” – JB
- “Great instructors with lots of knowledge and practical experience.” – A.C.
- “I now feel confident about conducting DUI investigations. Great course.” – C.W.
- “I was thoroughly satisfied with the DWI SFST training I received at IPTM. The training staff were very knowledgeable and professional. Additionally, the use of actual intoxicated subjects contributed to the realism of situations that would be encountered out in the field.” – Anon.