This course will show you how to teach the DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) course approved by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. You will learn the proper procedures and available options for teaching the basic SFST course.
Upon successful completion of the course, a complete set of lesson plans, student manuals, DVDs and instructional aides will be given to you.
- Basic instructor techniques
- Overview of alcohol, drugs and highway safety
- Review of Standardized Field Sobriety Tests including horizontal gaze nystagmus
- Proper procedures for conducting drinking exercises
- Practice teaching
- Curriculum revisions
Patrol officers, DUI investigators and supervisors, prosecutors, and law enforcement academy instructors - Class is restricted to current, active law enforcement and prosecutors employed by a governmental agency.
To attend this course, you must have successfully completed a course using the NHTSA approved DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) curriculum and be proficient in the administration of standardized field sobriety tests.
What to Bring
- You are required to bring a laptop computer with a USB port.