The transition from peer to supervisor can mark a major accomplishment in your career. It can also present a new set of challenges, especially if your new role includes managing your peers. Designed specifically for law enforcement professionals, this new course focuses on the development, management and leadership skills necessary for aspiring, new and seasoned supervisors. It provides you with a clear road map to sustainable leadership development practices.
As we will explore the traits of a good leader, you will learn how multiple dimensions of supervision become the building blocks for success and how leadership skills can affect your employees and your organization. Discover your personality traits using the DiSC® personal assessment tool and learn how the results can be used to better resolve conflict, increase motivation and improve your communication skills.
You’ll participate in an exercise that will help you understand your individual management style and identify the environment most conducive to success. A small collaborative group project will be used to address and incorporate current workplace trends.
Leadership and general considerations
Leadership, organizational culture, and change
Stress management in a law enforcement culture
DiSC® personal profile assessment - understanding your strengths and weaknesses
Leadership and performance in law enforcement
Dimensions of supervision (role model, coaching, time management)
Effective communications, public speaking, listening, and briefing skills
Performance and talent management
Trending issues in public safety
New and seasoned law enforcement supervisors and law enforcement officers preparing for promotional opportunities
Participants must be sworn law enforcement officers/agents, or non-sworn law enforcement support personnel employed by a federal, state, local or tribal agency or department who are preparing for advancement to a supervisory position, or have first-line supervisory responsibilities.
The course includes a complete online DiSC® personal profile assessment and student handbook.
What Our Students Are Saying
- “Mr. Ransom was able to deliver all information in a positive way. I look forward to applying these skills at my agency.” – Sgt. S.S.
- “I learned a lot of valuable information during the 24-hour class. I look forward to future training with IPTM.” – Sgt. K.K.
- “Instructor Ransom was a great speaker, provided advice on how to improve this skill. Instructor Ransom shared personal experiences to enhance this class.” – Cpl. R.T.
- “Learning new ideas for leadership vs. being a manager, and documentation was most beneficial. Great instructor, good presentations, very knowledgeable.” – Cpl. J.B.
- “I am not a new leader/supervisory, but this class was a great refresher. Knowledge, skills and abilities not used are lost. The instructor was well prepared and knowledgeable.” – Sgt. J.G.
- “This course was wonderful. Very beneficial for anyone in a leadership position.” – D.R.
IPTM is proud to partner with The Sawgrass Group
to offer this course focused on the needs of today’s
law enforcement professionals.
This course is not eligible for certificate discounts.