This course will provide you with in-depth instruction of the processes and techniques that apply to all aspects of criminal investigations, from the initial response to the scene to the final courtroom presentation.
You will learn methods to evaluate a crime scene and determine the type of crime that has been committed and the physical parameters of the area of involvement. We'll show you how to properly locate, document, collect and preserve the physical evidence and effective techniques for interviewing witnesses, victims and suspects. You will also learn about networks and databases that can assist you in the investigative process.
Exercises will reinforce the classroom discussions as you build a case through the use of field notes, statements, physical evidence and laboratory reports.
During the course, we will teach you how to perform basic investigative duties and prepare you for future, more specialized training.
- Crime scene analysis
- Solvability factors
- Recognition of physical evidence
- Search warrant concerns
- Crime scene sketches
- Locating and preserving latent prints
- Casting techniques - shoe wear and tire impressions
- Photography documentation
- Introduction to interviews and interrogations
- Case reporting
- Sources of intelligence
- Court preparation
Patrol officers, newly assigned and seasoned detectives, investigations supervisors, crime scene technicians, medical examiner and coroner investigators, military investigative personnel, non-sworn personnel who must effectively interact with sworn officers
What Our Students Are Saying
- “I feel taking this class has increased my confidence and knowledge to better conduct sex crimes investigations. Overall, this is the best class I’ve ever taken, it was super fun and interactive. The instructors were knowledgeable and very kind and personable.” – C.A.
- “Thanks to the instructors the class was fun even though the subject matter was difficult. They made it easier to digest the subject.” – C.M.
- “Instructors made the course enjoyable by having the class interact with practical exercises. Humor was used tastefully and tactfully. Instructors mad a good team and the presentation was awesome.” – Ofc. L.R.
- “Enjoyed the class. Great class. Provided more tools in my tool box and made me thing about previous cases and what I could have done differently especially with CSP.” – Ofc. T.B.
- “It’s good to see instructors with field and advanced education. That allowed for a better understanding of the material. Very eye opening!” – Agt. J.C.
- "Great course I will definitely recommend to fellow law enforcement personnel. The great personalities of the instructors made sensitive topics comfortable and relatable." – Det. Lt. D.M.