This course will provide you with "hands-on" training in the latest state-of-the-art techniques for crime scene processing. Emphasis will be given to recognizing, documenting, collecting, preserving, and analyzing physical evidence. Investigators, crime scene technicians, and agency personnel who investigate or work at crime scenes will all benefit from this course.
We will pay particular attention to the interpretation of discovered evidence, its value within the scene and usefulness in solving the crime. You will participate in exercises that will give you experience in latent print development techniques, locating and collecting DNA evidence and using light energy to process a scene. You will also learn how to interpret bloodstain patterns and use chemical enhancement methods.
Each of the techniques covered during the course will be accompanied by a discussion on how to explain the particular process in court. The instructor will share actual cases where techniques were successful in solving cases.
- Discussion of specific evidence-related scenes ranging from simple property crimes to crimes against persons
- Photography procedures for scene documentation
- DNA and where to find it and collect it
- Latent print development techniques
- Alternative light sources – processing scenes and related evidence with light energy
- Casting - tire and shoe patterns, etc.
- Bloodstain documentation and chemical enhancement
- Courtroom testimony involving all evidence discussed throughout the course
Crime scene technicians, patrol officers, newly assigned and seasoned detectives, investigations supervisors, medical examiner and coroner investigators, military investigative personnel
You should have some field experience or knowledge of crime scene processing.
What to Bring
- Clothing suitable for processing evidence using chemicals and powders
- Gloves and other necessary protective wear will be provided.
What Our Students Are Saying
- “The course revealed many areas that needed improvement in my processes. Many ideas and processes will be added to the job.” – J.W.
- “Excellent quality of instruction and real life application.” – P.B. Crime Scene Tech.
- “I think every patrol officer should have this training! I will never look at a scene the same way again.” – Anon.
- “This course was excellent. The instructors are highly educated in this field. Great class.” – Det. R.D.
- “The instructors were great, so knowledgeable, so impressed that they knew exactly what our state lab wants and needs. I wish I could take more course with them.” – J.D.
- “Great course with instructors who are knowledgeable and have practical experience with the subject.” – Det. S.J.