Designed for experienced investigators and crime scene technicians, this advanced course teaches the use of scientific methods, evidence analysis and deductive reasoning in determining the series of events in a crime and accurately reconstructing the resulting crime scene.
We will show you time proven techniques and the procedures to follow in reconstructing a variety of different incidents within a scene, from the identification and analysis of the evidence to the documentation and presentation of your findings.
As part of the course, you will participate in practical exercises designed to strengthen your knowledge in areas such as bloodstain pattern analysis, pattern evidence and gunshot trajectory reconstruction. You will participate in useful testing and experimentation involving evidence, to include a live fire shooting of a vehicle at the range. In addition, you will learn how to determine the degree of certainty in your findings.
To successfully complete the course, you will work with several actual case studies, completing the reconstruction of the crime scenes and presenting your findings to the class.
- Sources of information and evidence
- Dynamics of the reconstruction process
- Bloodstain pattern analysis
- The reconstruction model
- Pattern evidence and analysis
- Trajectory reconstruction
- Courtroom testimony and Daubert hearing preparation
- Reconstruction procedures
Experienced investigators and crime scene technicians, seasoned detectives, investigations supervisors, medical examiner and coroner investigators, military investigative personnel
Prior training or working knowledge in bloodstain pattern analysis is recommended.
What to Bring
- Appropriate clothing for field exercises and documenting bloodstains using veterinarian-provided animal blood
- Camera and equipment to document field exercises
- Laptop computer with administrative privileges
One day will consist of practical exercises of bloodstain pattern interpretation; at times at floor level. Another day will be spent at an outdoor shooting range conducting hands-on documentation exercises.
What Our Students Are Saying
- “Great course and excellent instructors. Design of course is well thought out and well organized. Group hands on
activities and it is all practical and applicable.” – Lt. C.T.
- “Great instructors. Both very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about course. Definitely recommend to all detectives!”
– Det. D.D.
- “Awesome course. Very interesting, fun and informative. Will look for more courses with these instructors.” – S.K.
- “I enjoyed course and felt that I gained a substantial amount of knowledge that I can apply to my position
as forensic investigator.” – W.M.
- “Loved it. Can’t wait to take another.” – Y.R.
- “One of the greatest classes I have ever attended.” – O.P.