This is an independent study, self-paced course for Florida Law Enforcement Officers.
This class will give you an overview of the driver license administrative suspension hearings and the rules that govern the process. Since officers give testimony without the benefit of an attorney on their side at these hearings, they must become familiar with what they can and cannot do.
You will be presented with effective techniques for preparing, testifying and following-up after the hearing. In addition, you will learn how to protect your cases and keep the hearings from becoming “free depositions.”
- An overview of the applicable laws and forms
- The hearing process – what to expect
- What is and what isn’t within the scope
- Tips for testifying
- The Zero Tolerance Suspension
- Commercial vehicle disqualification
- Procedures for appealing an invalid suspension
This online, grant-funded course is restricted to Florida law enforcement officers.
Online environment: This is an independent study, self-paced course. Although there are no specific times that you must be online, you will be required to complete assignments by the deadlines posted within the course. You should plan to dedicate approximately eight hours to the course activities. You must be committed to the course and invest the time necessary for successful completion.
Instructors are available to answer your questions during each module via the help forum. The course must be completed within 30 days upon registration. Once the 30-day period has ended, you may no longer have access and be required to re-enroll. Additional fees may apply.
Registrations received between Sept. 1-15: This course will close on September 30 at 11:59 pm (est). All course work and the final evaluation must be completed by this time or you will not receive credit for the course, per FDOT Grant Funding Rules.
Computer requirements: You will complete the course entirely online. A dependable broadband internet connection with a Windows or Mac computer and Adobe Acrobat Reader (free download) are required.
What Our Students Are Saying
- "The instructor appeared knowledgeable about the topic and presented it in a manner that was easy to understand. It was evident he was willing to share his experience and was enthusiastic about the topic." - Ofc. C.G.
- "Repeating some of the information throughout the course allowed for easy understanding. The course was easy to follow along and I liked the powerpoint format." - Ofc. A.J.
- "I enjoyed the real examples from the instructors agency." - Ofc. W.F.
- "The information in this course greatly helped me prepare for my DL hearings." - Ofc. Z.U.
- "It was set up to make all of us better officers when it comes to court proceedings that some are not used to." - Ofc. C.T.
This course is not eligible for certificate discounts.