From the selection by George Washington of the location for the city to the present, DC, one of three planned capital cities in the world, has grown and changed in infinite ways. Get a local's take on the history of the city and the people who built it, including the origins of the Smithsonian Institution and the evolution of the National Mall. On field trips through the city you will visit some of the major monuments and memorials, the Library of Congress and Eastern Market, and have a chance to see some of the current changes taking places throughout the city.
The BMCC Learning Express program offers students who don't live near one of our campus locations the opportunity to travel to an American city and take classes there. Students who live in the Washington, DC area will enjoy taking a deeper dive into the history and culture of their host city.
Each day students will learn in the classroom and onsite at local attractions.
• Credit for 36 educational hours or 3.6 CEUs (Continuing Education Units).
• There is a pre-assignment for this course. Students will receive their pre-assignment via email one week before the first class.
• Cancellation Policy for the Learning Express program is necessarily different from other Learning Across America courses. For a full refund, students who have registered for class with accommodation must cancel 31 days before the first class date by emailing BMCC at email@example.com.
$309 - Tuition for class without accommodation includes:
• Public transportation pass to get around Washington, DC with your teacher.
• All costs associated with the class. (There are no material fees or activity fees!)
For more information about staying in Washington, DC, click here.