In order to reflect CUNY's decision to hold distance-learning courses, Learning Across America will be continuing in an online format. Online courses will be held for the same number of credits as our in-person option. Please email us with questions at email@example.com.
For English as second language learners.
This course covers three major areas that help you achieve confidence and success: Presentation Skills, Speaking Techniques, and Pronunciation. Classes focus on a combination of skills needed to enhance your business and your personal lives.
Keep reading for more information or click here to sign up.
- Do you freeze when you are asked: “Tell me about yourself” during an interview?
- What is Really Listening? Are you too nervous to Really Listen?
- How do you answer awkward questions?
- What questions can, and should, you ask?
- Telephone interviews; ZOOM interviews. How are they different from face-to-face interviews?
- Pronunciation: Are certain sounds, words, or combinations of words difficult to say? Does the last word of your sentence get lost?
- Projection: Are you asked to repeat yourself when you order something? Can people hear you easily?
- Most people fear giving Public Presentations. Do you?
- Learn various techniques to overcome your specific fear of speaking.
- Learn types of breathing to relax; breathing to energize.
Your course will consist of a pre-assignment, independent coursework and final assignment as well as live online class sessions with your teacher/other au pairs. Credit for J-1 visa students is 36 hours. Students earning J-1 visa credit must attend all sessions and complete all homework.
Elizabeth Marner-Brooks is an Associate Professor at The New School for Public Engagement, where she teaches Listening/Speaking, Pronunciation, and Reading. Elizabeth has created and taught courses in Presentations, Public Speaking, “Acting for Non-Actors”, and “Be Assertive: Speak Up & Speak Out” for The New School.
During her career as a professional actor and public speaker, Elizabeth represented major corporations, Fortune 500 companies, and CBS Television Network throughout the United States.