Train to become a paraprofessional educator. This course will prepare you for the ETS ParaPro Assessment, a Praxis exam needed to work as a teacher's aide.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this program are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Teaching in Today's Inclusive Classrooms: A Universal Design for Learning Approach, Third Edition, by Richard M. Gargiulo and Debbie Metcalf
- Methods and Strategies for Teaching Students with High Incidence Disabilities: A Case-Based Approach, Second edition, by Joseph Boyle and David Scanlon
- Praxis ParaProfessional Study Guide
Please Note: You will receive a digital book if the physical book is on backorder.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive the ParaPro Interactive Practice Test to help prepare for the exam.
Schools need paraprofessionals! This course will prepare you for the ETS ParaPro Assessment exam, so you can work as a teacher's aide. You'll learn how these paraprofessional educators assist with classroom instruction and build a foundation in educational principles like classroom management. Most importantly, you'll develop strategies to support students of different learning abilities in reading, writing, and math.
- Teacher's Aide Foundations
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Communication and Classroom Management
- Supporting Students in the General Education Setting
- Students with Exceptionalities
- Midterm Exam
- Supporting the Reading Process
- Supporting the Writing Process
- Supporting Mathematics
- Preparing for the ETS ParaPro Assessment
- Career Roadmap: The Job Search and Future Opportunities (Optional Lesson)
- Final Exam
What you will learn
- What paraprofessional educators do and how they work in the education system
- Roles and responsibilities of a teacher's aide in various settings
- Benchmarks of development for children and adolescents
- Classroom management strategies, instructional control, and positive behavior supports
- Characteristics and intervention strategies for students with various disabilities
- ParaPro Assessment exam preparation strategies
How you will benefit
- Develop a career roadmap for becoming a teacher's aide
- Pass the Para Pro Praxis assessment and enhance your professional profile
- Develop strategies to support students of different learning abilities
Kt (Katie) Paxton is a certified teacher with a Master's Degree in Education focusing on Learning and Technology. She has more than 20 years of classroom experience and has been an online instructor since 2003. She also owned and managed a home daycare for five years and is the author of More Adventures With Kids in San Diego. Furthermore, Kt has trained and placed tutors with at-risk students in over 100 schools in addition to working with the students herself.