Learn to use QuickBooks Online to record income and expenses; enter checks and credit card payments; track your payables, inventory, and receivables; and much more.
This QuickBooks course will teach you how to manage your business finances with QuickBooks Online. This powerful accounting software has helped millions of small business owners oversee their finances. Now that the cloud-based version is outpacing the desktop version, there's no better time to refresh your QuickBooks knowledge.
You will learn to use key features of QuickBooks Online and gain hands-on experience creating invoices, receipts, and statements; track payables, inventory, and receivables; generating reports; and more. Whether you're new to QuickBooks or need a quick refresher, this course will empower you to take control of your business's financial accounting, all with the ease and convenience of an online platform.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 10 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.11 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- When your course starts, you will be directed to access and utilize the free QuickBooks Online practice site to complete the lesson and assignment steps. You do not need to purchase a subscription or additional software to complete this course. However, please note that this course is suitable only for the QuickBooks Online version. The desktop versions of QuickBooks are not compatible with this course and should not be used. If you have the desktop version, you should consider registering for the course specifically designed for your version.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.Manage the financial aspects of your small business quickly and efficiently using QuickBooks Online. This course will give you hands-on experience recording income and expenses; entering checks and credit card payments; tracking your payables, inventory, and receivables; and much more.
Your first lesson will introduce the QuickBooks Online interface and the pros and cons of working with your accounting information online. You will learn about the various subscription packages and practice using some of the interactive navigation features within the program.
To truly unlock the power of QuickBooks Online, it's helpful to have some basic accounting knowledge under your belt. In this lesson, you'll learn some introductory accounting terminology. In addition, you'll learn the basics of double entry accounting principles as well as the components of the Financial Statement.
The Chart of Accounts
The Chart of Accounts is the heart and soul of QuickBooks. In this lesson, you will learn how to take full advantage of this powerful tool to add, edit, and access accounts that you can use to track the value of your business or monitor your income and expenses.
Centers and Lists
This lesson introduces best practices for using centers and lists in QuickBooks to gather and organize information needed to properly conduct business. You will also learn how to process Form 1099 to give to your vendors at the end of the year.
In this lesson, you will learn how to work with bank accounts in QuickBooks Online. You will learn how to create a new bank account, connect it online, and download, match, and add transactions. Then you will learn how to reconcile your checking account with your monthly bank statement to make sure that neither you nor the bank made any errors.
Keeping track of the checks and other expense transactions your business incurs is one of the most critical aspects of your daily operations. In this lesson, you will learn how to utilize QuickBooks' built-in features to enter check transactions and bank transfers like a pro.
Without an organized system for managing all the bills your business receives, they can really start to stack up. When bills pile up, it becomes easy to start missing payment deadlines, which can result in late fees and credit difficulties. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use QuickBooks to make sure you're paying all of your bills right on time—not too early, and not too late.
Credit Cards and Loans
In this lesson, you will learn how to effectively manage Credit Card accounts in QuickBooks Online. You will also learn how to enter a full or partial payment of the credit card balance when it comes time for payment. Finally, you will get the chance to create and enter a new loan balance resulting from the purchase of a long-term asset such as a vehicle or piece of equipment.
You will find this lesson useful if your business ever sells a product or service and collects payment on the sale immediately. Then you will learn how to create multiple Sales Receipts and make the necessary deposit to your bank.
Invoices and Estimates
In order to evaluate just how well your company is performing, you will need to learn how to enter estimates, invoices, and customer payments. You will do just that in this lesson. You will also learn how to group multiple customer payments and record those deposits to the bank.
Billable Expenses and Customer Credits
This lesson focuses on billing customers for an expense incurred on a project or job. You will even see how you can add a markup percentage to the amount you include on the customer invoice. Also, you will examine the steps needed to enter credit memos, delayed credits, and refunds.
Sales Taxes and Reports
In your final lesson, you will learn how to work with the sales tax features in the program to collect and remit taxes you collect from customers. You will also find out how to create, use, and customize a wide variety of useful reports.
What you will learn
- Learn everything you need to know about running QuickBooks in a small to mid-sized business
- Discover how to set up a chart of accounts, reconcile your checking account, and create estimates
- Learn to create and print invoices, receipts and statements
- Understand how to track payables, inventory, and receivables
- Gain the knowledge you need to generate reports
How you will benefit
- Get access to Intuit's Test Drive Sample Company practice site of QuickBooks Online Plus
- Get hands-on experience as you master the tools you will need to successfully use QuickBooks online
- Gain the confidence to take control of the financial accounting for your business
Scott Paxton is a Certified Public Accountant and holds master's degrees in business administration and accounting. His background includes experience as a public accountant, a manager in the banking industry, an entrepreneur and a college business instructor. Paxton has also spent much of his career helping small business owners successfully implement and troubleshoot QuickBooks.