Whether you're just starting work or transitioning into a different field, there has never been a better time to enter a career in Medical Billing and Coding. This course will prepare you for success in this rewarding career as you learn about legal, ethical, and regulatory concepts central to this field, including HIPAA compliance, official coding guidelines, and third-party payer requirements. You will also be able to choose a voucher for the professional certification that best aligns with your interests and career goals.
More than one million practicing physicians in the United States rely on medical billers and coders to receive payment for their services. Besides medical facilities, positions are available with health insurance companies, specialty pharmacies, medical suppliers, consulting firms, and national medical coding and billing companies, so the opportunities are nearly endless!
Medical billers and coders are in high demand. This course offers valuable training in legal, ethical, and regulatory concepts central to this field, including HIPAA compliance, official coding guidelines, and third-party payer requirements. You will also come to understand all phases of the revenue cycle—from patient registration through medical coding, claims submission, reimbursement, and collections. You will also learn common medical terminology to help you converse with others in healthcare easily and with confidence. You will study word parts and the structures and functions of the human body. Also presented are the disorders and medical procedures common to each body system, including musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory, digestive, nervous, endocrine, integumentary, genitourinary, lymphatic, and immune.
After successfully completing the course requirements, you should be well prepared to find your place in this rewarding healthcare career. You will receive a Certificate of Completion from the school through which you enrolled, and you will also be able to choose a voucher for the professional certification that best aligns with your interests and career goals.
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam offered by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA) exam offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) exam offered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
- This course can be taken on either a PC, Mac, or Chromebook device.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is preferred. Microsoft Edge is also compatible.
- Microsoft Word or equivalent (not included with enrollment)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbook, workbook, and codebooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Medical Terminology for Health Professions
- Understanding Health Insurance: A Guide to Billing and Reimbursement, by Michelle A. Green
- Accompanying Workbook: Understanding Health Insurance: A Guide to Billing and Reimbursement
- ICD-10-CM Expert for Physicians
- CPT Professional
- HCPCS Level II Professional
Choice of study guide/voucher package upon course completion:
- CBCS Study Guide
- Professional Review Guide for the CCA Examination + ICD-10-PCS Expert
- Official CPC Certification Study Guide