Work through true-to-life simulations of common HVAC/R scenarios and gain applicable service, maintenance, and troubleshooting skills. This hands-on simulator course will help you hone your technical abilities and build your knowledge of complex heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- A microphone.
- A webcam.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
As HVAC/R systems become increasingly complex, learning and mastering the latest technology is critical. HVAC/R Simulations for Field Technicians offers a rich, hands-on learning experience that mimics field performance in a completely online environment. You will practice servicing, maintaining, and troubleshooting common HVAC/R scenarios in true-to-life service call simulations.
You will work through approximately 200 scenarios to master seven pieces of HVAC/R equipment – Gas Furnace, Oil Furnace, Gas Boiler, Split Residential A/C, Commercial A/C, Heat Pumps, and Commercial Walk-in Freezers. Your skills and knowledge are then put to the test in 12 ungraded assessment simulations. If you need to sharpen your diagnostic and troubleshooting skills, this online course is ideal.
Please note this course is not graded by an instructor and no grades will be awarded upon the completion. For the certificate of completion to be provided, you must verify that you have completed all simulations to the best of your ability.
- Safety, Tools and Equipment, and Shop Practices
- Basic Electricity and Magnetism
- Types of Electric Motors
- Troubleshooting Electric Motors
- Special Refrigeration Systems Components
- Applications of Refrigeration Systems
- Troubleshooting and Typical Operating Conditions for Commercial Refrigeration
- Gas Heat
- Oil Heat
- Hydronic Heat
- Typical Operations Conditions
- Air Source Heat Pumps
- Room Air Conditioner
- Challenge Mode Simulations
What you will learn
- Measure voltage, current, and resistance in electric circuits
- Properly install an air-conditioning system and put it into operation
- Troubleshoot mechanical problems in an air-conditioning system
- Troubleshoot electrical problems in an air-conditioning system
- Troubleshoot electrical and mechanical problems in heat pump systems
How you will benefit
- The use of simulations allows you to get as close to "real world" troubleshooting scenarios as possible without an actual HVAC/R unit or system
- The scenarios may be repeated as many times as needed to hone troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Enrolled students are invited to attend our exclusive annual virtual National Apprenticeship Week events, featuring live webinars, workshops, and employer interactions
Mike Baker has been an instructor since 2011. Previously, he was HVAC Program Director at both Virginia College and Vista College. Baker was a HVAC technician for several decades and has experience hiring, training, and managing HVAC Technicians. He holds numerous HVAC Excellence certifications, several Green Mechanical Council certifications, an EPA 608 Universal certification, and Emerson Climate Technology certifications. He has served as both an HVAC Excellence Instructor and Exam Proctor.