Drawing is the basis of all visual art, and it can provide a lifetime of enjoyment. In this class for beginners, increase your imagination, creativity, and perception through the practice of drawing!
Learn the fundamentals of drawing: light, shadow, proportions, details, perspective, and three-dimensionality. Practice drawing many subjects including animals, nature, people, and still life.
You’ll be surprised how quickly your skills will improve by observing and drawing along with a step-by-step class presentation! This process will make it easy to understand and put these techniques into practice.
Once you learn these skills, you’ll find them becoming second nature. This practice will greatly increase your ability to represent the world around you with a pencil or pen.
- Pencils (graphite):
- 2B pencil
- 4B pencil
- 6B pencil
- 8B (Optional)
- Woodless Pencil (6B or 8B) optional
- Drawing paper pad - either 9"x12" or 11"x14"
- White vinyl eraser
- Mechanical eraser, or pink eraser on the back of pencil (for detail erasing and drawing white lines on gray areas)
- 3-4 (variety sizes) Paper blending stomps (or paper towel/ tissues for blending, if you can't find these for first day)
- Pencil sharpener (preferably with shaving collector)
- Set of colored pencils (24 to 48)
- Learn the various uses for the tools and supplies for drawing
- Draw representational objects and scenes
- Represent 3-dimensional space through the use of light, shadow, and detail
- Learn various blending techniques
- Draw 3-dimensional objects -- the building blocks of all other drawings
- Combine three-dimensional objects to make more complex drawings
- Expand your use and understanding of form and line
- Gain a good understanding and ability to use proportions
- Represent three-dimensional objects and scenes using a simple perspective
- Utilize light and dark details
- Maximize the use of value, contrast, line, mark making, and details to draw with expression
Who Should Take this Class?
- Anyone interested in learning the joy of drawing
- People who would like to improve their drawing skills
- Anyone who would like to learn to express themselves through drawing
- Everyone who would like to gain the foundational skills of drawing to apply to any visual art medium in the future