Whether captain or crew, there are essential knots and line-handling skills that every boater should know that you will learn in this class. Line-handling skills are important to docking, transiting the locks, or even “Mediterranean mooring” on your next bareboat charter. Becoming good at these skills will make you a more competent boater.
In this class, you can learn how to handle dock lines safely, even under load. Discover the best way to store lines so they are always neat and immediately ready to use and which knots are appropriate to use in various situations, and learn how to tie the most essential boating knots. You will have a chance to practice these skills.
We will also discuss how to communicate effectively between the person at the helm and the person handling lines, which is a key to success for safe boating.
By the end of this class, you will be able to:
- handle dock lines safely, even under load
- store lines so they are always neat and immediately ready to use
- throw a line effectively
- communicate effectively between the person at the helm and the person handling lines
- recognize the appropriate knot to use in various situations
- put a line on/off a cleat without stepping off the boat
- tie the most essential boating knots, including the bowline, clove hitch, round turn and two half hitches, stopper knot, reef knot, locking cleat hitch, cow hitch, and rolling hitch
Who Might Enjoy This Class?
- Recreational boaters
- Anyone interested in learning about knots and line handling