Have you ever been surprised by the weather or wished you had understood the weather forecast better in advance of a boating excursion? Learn how to understand the vital parts of a marine weather forecast so you know what to expect and how to prepare.
Knowing the water conditions is critical to safe boating. Since weather conditions on the water can differ greatly from those on land, it's important to listen to the marine forecast before heading out. Learn about the science behind weather systems and the basics of global weather patterns.
Get an introduction to interpreting atmostpheric pressure, fronts, and other weather data. Become familiar with the specifics of the Salish Sea weather patterns and hone your observational skills. Gain tools and resources that will be most valuable for you to obtain marine weather information.
This class will help you feel more knowledgeable about weather conditions on the water and how to prepare for your next trip.
By the end of this class, you will be able to:
- understand the basics of global weather patterns
- interpret atomospheric pressure, fronts, and other weather data
- be familiar wtih the correlation between wind and sea state
- understand specifics of Salish Sea weather routing
- know which tools are valuable for onboard weather observation
- access resources for obtaining marine weather information
Who Should Take This Class
- Recreational boaters
- Anyone interested in gaining a better understanding of marine weather forecasts and conditions