Learn to draw and paint the fascinating world of animals in this engaging and informative class. Through the development of keen observational skills of the natural world, you’ll learn to realistically represent animal life in graphite drawing, colored pencil, and acrylic paint.
Gain additional knowledge and understanding of animal anatomy. Subjects might include: mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, crustaceans, mollusks, and more. You’ll also learn about form and function, anatomy, highlights, shadows, and details, proportion, three dimensionality, value, contrast, and color. These basic principles of drawing and painting will help you learn to depict the animal world in a variety of vibrant and dynamic ways.
- Pencils (Graphite): 2B pencil, 4B pencil, 6B pencil and 8B (optional)
- Woodless pencil (6B or 8B) optional
- 70-90lb drawing paper pad - either 9&12" or 11x14"
- White vinyl eraser
- Mechanical eraser, or pink eraser on back of pencil (for detail erasing and drawing white lines on gray areas)
- 3-4 (variety sizes) paper blending stomps
- Pencil sharpener (preferably with shaving collector)
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Depict a variety of animal life in graphite drawing, colored pencils, and acrylic painting
- Draw or paint 3D form in animals through light, shadow
- Understand proportions and details
- Utilize observational skills to produce accurate representations of animals
- Be acquainted with how to depict a wide variety of animal life
Who Should Take This Class??
- Anyone who is interested in enriching their lives with the joy of Zoological Illustration
- People who draw who would like to gain or improve their Zoological Illustration abilities
- Scientists, naturalists, nature lovers or anyone who is fascinated by animal life and would like to become more acquainted with drawing and painting the natural world