Words like "mysterious" are often used when describing the people called the Picts. Learn about these ancient people from Scotland and their fascinating history and culture in this engaging class.
What role did they play in creating medieval Scotland and why did they ‘mysteriously’ disappear? The Picts are known in archaeological records from their hillforts and unique carved symbol stones. They appear in writings as victorious barbarians attacking Roman Britain, or as victims of the Vikings. When Christianity took hold, they started carving elaborate Celtic crosses and making exquisite metalwork.
Explore the history of the Picts, including their notorious carved symbol stones, crosses and metalwork. Gain a better understanding of the history of Scotland and Europe, as well as the limits of historical records of that time. Enjoy learning about other peoples from other times while reflecting on the many mysteries that abound in history.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify ‘the Picts’
- Understand what information they have left us in the archaeological record and written accounts
- Identify Pictish symbol stones, Celtic crosses, and metalwork
- Understand why they seemingly disappeared from history and the limits of the historical record of the time
- Be more familiar with the history of Scotland c. 300 CE to 1000 CE
Who Should Take This Class?
- Anyone interested in Scottish, British, or European history
- People interested in archaeology and the archaeological record of Scotland
- Anyone with Scottish ancestry