This class builds on the skills taught in our Outboard Motor Maintenance Basics class. Gain hands-on experience performing the most useful maintenance tasks. These practices will prolong the life of your outboard motor while saving you money!
Plan on getting a little dirty. Personal protective equipment is provided. This class will focus on four-stroke gasoline engines 20 hp and less. Each student will have their own outboard motor to work on.
In this class you will learn how to:
- Remove, inspect, and re-install a propeller
- Remove, inspect, and re-install anodes ("zincs")
- Remove, inspect, and re-install a lower unit and water pump
- Start a manual choke outboard engine and clear flooding
- Disassemble, inspect, and re-assemble a marine outboard motor carburetor
- Troubleshoot common outboard motor issues
Who Might Enjoy This Class?
- Recreational boaters
- Anyone interested in learning how to maintain an outboard motor
- Prerequisite: Students who have completed the Outboard Motor Maintenance Basics class