Would you love to paint but don’t know where to begin? Or have you dabbled in painting and you’d like to get good at it? Gain an introduction to basic painting skills, using both acrylic and oil paints, in this rewarding class.
In this class, you will learn about paints and materials, and how to use them. Explore the rich topic of color, look at the color wheel, discuss color theory, and experiment with mixing colors to get the results you want. Learn how to use brushes, palette knives, and other tools and supplies.
Explore a wide variety of painting topics, including textures, shadows, light, hue, and value. Learn about perspective and proportions. Explore techniques such as blending, scumbling, alla prima, impasto, chiaroscuro, and sfumato. Learn how to make your own gesso and paints.
Enjoy exercises that will help you build your skills. We will explore subjects such as landscapes (rural and city), still lives, animals, portraits, and styles such as realism, abstraction, pointillism, expressionism, impressionism, and cubism. You will also be able to explore originality in art and paint from photographs, memory, and imagination.
Learn new techniques or further develop skills you already have to get to the next level. The instructor is a professional artist with international experience and works in museums.
See the supply list.
- Be familiar with the tools and techniques to develop a work of art
- Use observation, linear perspective, volume, and originality
- Explore composition, form, color, tints, tones, gradations, values, space, light, shadow, texture, blending, scumbling, alla prima, impasto, chiaroscuro, sfumato, monochromatic, analogous, complementary, triadic, neutrals and chroma.
- Develop techniques such as blending, glazing, color mixing
- Learn to use materials effectively and safely
- Express different ways to experience art by developing an art vocabulary
- Understand art as a form of personal expression.
Who Might Enjoy This Class
- Anyone wanting to learn how to paint
- People who have experience painting but want to improve
- Anyone seeking a creative outlet
- Everyone is welcome; no experience necessary
Painting for Everyone, Acrylics, Oils and Watercolors, written by the instructor.