Do you speak and understand English and Spanish at a near-native level? Develop advanced skills and experience in this class that will help you work as a professional Spanish/English interpreter.
Gain practical skills such as note-taking and consecutive interpreting. Learn the basics of simultaneous interpreting. Explore how to work in the three interpreting modes. Become familiar with using various technologies for interpreters. Discover how to efficiently provide a high-quality interpretation service.
Gain skills that will help you apply your language abilities to interpreting assignments in a professional and prepared manner. Learn what you need to know in order to meet the expectations of your future clients and to employment opportunities.
- Create a high-quality interpreting service
- Learn basic simultaneous interpretation skills
- Improve sight translation, note-taking and consecutive skills
- Complete short interpreting assignments using the three different interpreting modes
- Learn to assess how and when to use each of the modes
- Self-evaluate the quality of the interpretation
- Reflect on criticism from other interpreters in order to improve the quality of the interpretation
Who Might Enjoy This Class?
Prerequisites: Basic computer skills and the ability to comprehend English and Spanish at an educated near-native level. Successful completion of our Translation and Interpretation Fundamentals Certificate program and Practical Certificate for Spanish/English is strongly recommended. The age minimum is 18.
- People who are bilingual who meet the prerequisites above or comparable experience
- Novice interpreters who would like to improve their practical interpretation skills
- Professionals who are often asked to interpret at work for their customers/clients but who have never received any formal training
- Translators who wish to provide interpretation services in the near future