Begin an exciting career teaching English abroad, or teaching English to speakers of other languages in your own area. This is the second of the Teaching English to Students of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate Program and is taken after successfully completing the TESOL – Basics course.
In this class, review English language grammar, with special emphasis on the most important structures needed for students of other languages. Gain skills and comfort explaining grammar points to students learning English. Develop lesson plans and worksheets that could be used in future grammar classes that you teach.
Discover the role of the TESOL certificate and employment pathways in the field of teaching English to non-native speakers.
This is a hybrid course, meeting weekly in person for three hours, with online self-guided instruction for 1.6 hours.
Winter 2024 Schedule
This class is offered only in winter quarter. The class meets 6-9pm on a weekday, plus 1.6 hours of self-study every week; date TBA.
- Develop an understanding of the role of grammar in second language instruction
- Develop fluency in grammar-speak
- Gain the ability to present, explain, and provide examples of various grammar points
- Demonstrate an ability to recognize and identify grammatical errors, and know how to fix them
- Create a bibliography of credible grammar sources
- Demonstrate an ability to talk about, work with, and teach grammar structures
- Create several worksheets and two lesson plans to be used in future ESL classes
- Become aware of the role that a TESOL certificate plays in employment in the field of teaching English to non-native speakers
Who Should Take this Class?
- Native speakers of English who want to work internationally teaching English
- International students who are studying in the U.S. and want to teach English overseas
- Current tutors and teachers of English language learners at tutoring centers and nonprofit agencies
Grammar for English Language Teachers, 2nd Edition (Martin Parrott, ISBN: 9780521712040, Cambridge University Press)