If you need to create, re-vamp or maintain a website, and you need background knowledge and a few useful skills and tips, this class is for you. This class will discuss the fundamentals of what it takes to create a website from scratch and maintain it. We will discuss: the process of creating websites, terms, principles, converting images for the web, different types of website software and more. We will walk through the process of creating a very simple website and learn basic HTML and CSS coding using Notepad++.
Class format includes lecture, hands-on exercises, and real world examples.
This is the fifth recommended class in the Graphic Design Certificate.
Upon completion of this class, you should be able to:
- Understand the process of creating a website from scratch.
- Understand important fundamental website vocabulary domain, URL, FTP etc.
- Define different software options for creating websites.
- Understand best practices & guidelines for planning a website.
- Discuss navigation techniques and terminology.
- Analyze a website to critique what works and what doesn’t.
- Understand the concept of Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Identify usability principles and a checklist to help you create user-friendly sites.
- Recognize integrated social media on a website.
- Create a simple website using HTML and CSS.
Audience: This class is ideal for anyone, but especially communications professionals, who are involved in the conception, visual appeal and ease of use of web content.