Why do so many people love opera? Partly it's the music, partly it's the stories, partly it's the incredible spectacle of the costumes and sets, but mostly it's the thrilling emotional power of the human voice. In this class you will get an in-depth introduction to each opera that New York's famed Metropolitan Opera broadcasts live in HD to local movie theaters throughout the world during the semester. You will hear many of today's most amazing opera stars and learn about the stories, the music, the history, and the voices that continue to enthrall audiences around the world.
The operas we will cover this spring are:
- March 17: Wagner's incredible Lohengrin
- March 30: Verdi's comic masterpiece, Falstaff
- April 6: Strauss's glorious Rosenkavalier
- April 28: Blanchard's moving Champion
- May 19: Mozart's classic Don Giovanni
- June 2: Mozart's delightful Magic Flute
This is a HYBRID class. Look for the ZOOM link in the OLLI Weekly.