How do you navigate through knowing what to serve or what to brew? You start with exploring the styles and evaluating the history and characteristics of beer.
About the Program:
This 10-week course is designed to take students on an exploration through the world of beer. The program provides the core knowledge around the history, terminology and style characteristics of beers. The curriculum is based upon the information covered in industry standard exam certifications such as the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) and Cicerone.
Upon completion of this program participants will be able to:
- Exercise knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of the world's diverse beer styles
- Understand the basic terminology and methods of brewing.
- Promote, recognize, and advance beer tasting and evaluation.
- Understand the standardized tools, methods, and processes for the structured evaluation, ranking and feedback of beer.
- Demonstrate the skills to communicate knowledge of beer styles and characteristics to others.
- Have the knowledge base to take beer industry certification exams.
The course is designed for whether you are just starting out with your first home brew kit or want to increase beer sales where you work. We are excited to raise a glass with everyone!
- Home Brewers
- Food Service & Beer Servers
- Front of House Staff & Management
- Distributors and Sales in Beverage Industry
After you've taken the Mastering Beer Styles course for fun, you may want to keep exploring this industry. UW Tacoma offers additional courses to take you to that next level - whether it is the Business of Craft Beer to start your own business or learn how to scale up to large professional production levels.