Train to become an AFAA-certified group fitness instructor. This unique online course will teach you industry-recognized methods for leading group fitness classes.
- This course must be taken on a PC. Macs are only compatible using the Chrome browser.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge is also compatible.Safari is not compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- AFAA Principles of Group Fitness Instruction, Jones & Bartlett Learning
Please note: You will receive a digital book if the physical book is on backorder.
From gyms to fitness studios, more people are taking group fitness classes. There's a good reason for that; group fitness offers expert instruction in a positive environment. This online course will prepare you to become a certified group fitness instructor. Earning this credential from the Athletics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) verifies that you can safely and effectively teach group fitness classes.
This course includes a voucher with enrollment. The voucher is prepaid access to sit for the certifying AFAA GFI Exam upon completion of the course and eligibility.
- The Group Fitness Industry
- Foundations of Exercise Science
- The Human Movement System
- Integrated Fitness
- Teaching Basics
- Teaching: Multi-training and Exercise Technique
- Class Planning and Preparation
- Adapting to Class Dynamics
- Communication and Learning
- Inclusive Instruction for Special Populations
- Class Engagement and Motivation
- Professional and Legal Responsibilities
What you will learn
- Demonstrate comprehension of fundamental scientific concepts related to exercise science
- Design a well-structured and balanced fitness class or workout for a diverse group of participants that is both safe and effective
- Demonstrate comprehension of key instruction and presentation skills necessary for effective group instruction
- Demonstrate key traits of professionalism as a group fitness instructor
- Demonstrate the key skills and knowledge required to be a competent group fitness instructor
How you will benefit
- Pass AFAA Group Fitness Instructor certification test and earn a nationally accredited certificate
- Certification exam cost is included with course enrollment
- Walk into any gym in the nation and be employable as a group fitness instructor
- Allow them to run private group fitness classes
This is not an instructor facilitated course; however, support will be provided through email, online forms, and phone.