This online instructor-led course prepares you for the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Certified Exercise Physiologist (EP) certification exam.
- This course can be taken on either a PC, Mac, or Chromebook.
- PC: Windows 10 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word Online
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- ACSM's Resources for the Exercise Physiologist
- ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription
Please note: You will receive a digital book if the physical book is on backorder.
This online instructor-led course prepares you for the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Certified Exercise Physiologist (EP) certification examination. Additional supplemental documents are provided complimentary to you for use in preparing for the ACSM-EP certification exam.
The course includes key presentations and outlines, specialized examination documents, and 200+ practice test questions. ACSM-EPs work with individuals that have medically controlled diseases and complete physical assessments and interpret the results. ACSM-EPs also prescribe appropriate, personalized exercise programs for healthy individuals and those with health challenges to enhance the quality of life, improve health-related physical fitness and performance, manage health risks, and promote lasting, healthy behavior changes.
After completing the course and passing the ACSM-EP certification exam, you will be prepared to work in one of the fastest-growing segments of the service industries. You will also be prepared to take your training to an advanced level by conducting and interpreting physical fitness assessments and developing exercise prescriptions for people who are healthy or have medically controlled diseases.
The American College of Sports Medicine's Professional Education Committee certifies that "Educational Fitness Solutions" meets the criteria for official ACSM Approved Provider status from 2022 – December 2023. Providership # 672784.
Continuing Education Credits/Units
This course qualifies for CECs/CEUs for the following organizations.
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- National Council on Strength & Fitness (NCSF)
- National Posture Institute (NPI)
- Health and Fitness Assessment
- Administer and interpret pre-participation health screening procedures to maximize client safety and minimize risk.
- Determine client's readiness to participate in a health-related physical fitness assessment and exercise program.
- Determine and administer physical fitness assessments for apparently healthy clients and those with controlled disease.
- Exercise Prescription and Implementation
- Determine safe and effective exercise programs to achieve desired outcomes and goals, and translate assessment results into appropriate exercise prescriptions.
- Implement cardiorespiratory exercise prescriptions for apparently healthy clients and those with controlled disease based on current health status, fitness goals and availability of time.
- Implement exercise prescriptions for flexibility, muscular strength, muscular endurance, balance, agility, and reaction time for apparently healthy clients and those with controlled disease based on current health status, fitness goals and availability of time.
- Exercise Counseling and Behavior Modification
- Optimize adoption and adherence of exercise and other healthy behaviors by applying effective communication techniques.
- Optimize adoption and adherence of exercise and other healthy behaviors by applying effective behavioral strategies and motivational techniques.
- Provide educational resources to support clients in the adoption and maintenance of healthy lifestyle behaviors.
- Risk Management and Professional Responsibilities
- Develop and disseminate risk management guidelines for a health/fitness facility to reduce member, employee, and business risk.
- Ensure that emergency policies and procedures are in place.
- Final Examination Preparation
What you will learn
- How ACSM-EPs work with healthy clients and those with medically controlled diseases to establish safe and effective exercise and healthy lifestyle behaviors to optimize both health and quality of life
- Administer pre-participation screening and recognition of major signs or symptoms suggestive of cardiovascular, pulmonary, or metabolic disease, and/or the presence of known cardiovascular, pulmonary, and metabolic disease status
- Methods to develop and administer programs designed to enhance cardiorespiratory fitness, muscular strength and endurance, balance, and range of motion
- How to assess and refer clients to the appropriate allied health professionals to meet client's safety and needs
How you will benefit
- Prepare for the ACSM-EP certification exam
- Access to insightful presentations and 200+ practice test questions
- Best practices for implement programs that facilitate client motivation, client adherence, and honors client confidentiality
- Create cardiorespiratory exercise prescriptions for healthy clients and those with controlled disease based on current health status, fitness goals and availability of time
Ken Baldwin, M.ED., ACSM-H/FI has been involved in the fitness, wellness, and education profession for over 10 years. He is the senior editor, content expert, and lead author for ACSM's Resources for the Personal Trainer Textbook, Second Edition." He was chair of IDEA's National Personal Trainer Committee and chair of the Senior Fitness Subcommittee for the Massachusetts Governor's Committee on Physical Fitness and Sports. He serves on national committees for the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), AAHPERD, and the Medical Fitness Association. His background includes operating and managing a personal training company, consulting at corporations, and lecturing at international conferences, public events, national conventions.