SECOND IN A SERIES OF THREE COURSES
Building upon the theories and techniques learned in IPTM’s At-Scene Traffic Crash/Traffic Homicide Investigation course, this class will delve into the advanced concepts of traffic crash investigations.
More complex vehicle dynamics like acceleration/deceleration, factor, rate and airborne situations will be explored. You will learn to estimate speeds from falls, vaults, and flips and the calculation of kinetic energy and linear momentum. You’ll also learn to evaluate vehicle lamps, tires, and damage to help determine vehicle behaviors during the collision.
Much of the coursework will be spent using acceleration/deceleration factors and perception/reaction times to determine time/distance relationships for colliding vehicles.
- Speed estimates from kinetic energy, skidmarks, scuffmarks and airborne situations
- Vehicle dynamics and motion
- Time, distance, and motion equations
- Conservation of momentum equations
- Center of mass calculation
- Vehicle lamp examination
- Tire damage evaluation
- Vector sum analysis
Law enforcement and private traffic crash investigators, claims adjusters, engineers, attorneys, safety officers, military investigative personnel, animators and graphic designers
You must have completed IPTM’s At-Scene Traffic Crash/Traffic Homicide Investigation course or its equivalent.
What to Bring
- Calculator with square root, sine/co-sine, and parentheses () functions
- Work clothes for outside activities (including inclement weather)
- Camera and equipment to document field exercises
- Three-ring binder for handouts
For Florida Officers, this course will not qualify for Salary Incentive Credit for FDLE course "Advanced Traffic Accident Investigations."
You should review all formulas and work from your basic or At-Scene Traffic Crash/Traffic Homicide Investigation course prior to coming to class.
Courses in the Series
What Our Students Are Saying
- “Instructors were very helpful and patient with us. They were able to come down to our level and teaching a very in-depth yet easy to understand way. It was a very enjoyable experience.” – G.K.
- “Instructors were accessible and willing to meet after hours for extra help.” – S.W.
- “The hands on a linear perimeter measuring at the tow yard help to understand the concept as opposed to just seeing it on a PowerPoint.” – Anon.
- “The pace of the class was set up such that every student was able to stay on track.” – M.Y.
- “Great instructors. They took a very hard to learn course with lots of stuff to learn, and they instructed it in a manner that I was able to grasp it firmly.” – J.H.
- “This course was excellent and the instructors were incredible. If I had a problem understanding something they were able to break it down in a way that I could understand.” – J.W.