Online instructor-led course conducted over two consecutive weeks.
You must register at least 7 business days before the start date if you're in the U.S. and 21 if you're outside the U.S.
Presented entirely online, this course builds upon the theories and techniques learned in IPTM’s At-Scene Traffic Crash/Traffic Homicide Investigation course, and will delve into the advanced concepts of traffic crash investigations.
More complex vehicle dynamics like acceleration/deceleration, factor, rate and airborne situations will be explored. You will learn to estimate speeds from falls, vaults, and flips and the calculation of kinetic energy and linear momentum. You’ll also learn to evaluate vehicle lamps, tires, and damage to help determine vehicle behaviors during the collision.
Much of the coursework will be spent using acceleration/deceleration factors and perception/reaction times to determine time/distance relationships for colliding vehicles.
- Speed estimates from kinetic energy, skidmarks, scuffmarks and airborne situations
- Vehicle dynamics and motion
- Time, distance, and motion equations
- Conservation of momentum equations
- Center of mass calculation
- Vehicle lamp examination
- Tire damage evaluation
- Vector sum analysis
You must have completed IPTM’s At-Scene Traffic Crash/Traffic Homicide Investigation course, or its equivalent, and understand and be able to apply the following areas of knowledge:
- The formulas learned in the At-Scene Traffic Crash/Traffic Homicide Investigation course
- The series of events of a traffic crash
- Identification of physical evidence of a traffic crash and identification of tire marks
- Determination of friction and adjusting it for braking efficiency and grade
- Calculating equivalent energy speed loss from skid marks (minimum speed formula)
- Combining speeds from two or more surfaces or events
- Calculation of speed from critical speed yaw events
- Measurement of evidence at a scene and constructing a scale diagram with a traffic template or computer aided drafting software
Law enforcement and private traffic crash investigators, claims adjusters, engineers, attorneys, safety officers, military investigative personnel, animators and graphic designers
For Florida Officers, this course will not qualify for Salary Incentive Credit for FDLE course “Traffic Homicide Investigation.”
IMPORTANT: Required materials will be shipped to you before the first day of class.
Online environment: This course is interactive, instructor-led, and divided into daily modules. At the end of each day, the current module will close and a new module will open. Each student must successfully pass the quiz to progress to the next day of the course. The entire class progresses through the materials together like traditional classroom training; there are no provisions to skip modules or work ahead of the rest of the class. Class activities will take place Monday through Friday (only) for two consecutive weeks. Each day will require approximately 6-10 hours of class.
This is not a self-paced course. Although there are no specific times that you must be online, you will be required to complete assignments each day by midnight. Video lectures will be available each day beginning at midnight and learning activities must be completed each day.
The instructor will be available by e-mail and discussion forums throughout the course. He/She will be your guide and will assist you with questions every step along the way.
Computer requirements: You will complete the course entirely online. A dependable broadband internet connection with a Windows or Mac computer and Adobe Acrobat Reader (free download) are required.
Courses in the Series
What Our Students Are Saying
- “I liked the format of the projects and solutions manual.” – Inv. R.L.
- "I feel more prepared to investigate traffic homicides given the information provided in this course." – Ofc. F.B.
- "I can work at my pace and have zero wasted time." – Ofc. P.S.
- "The equations provided will be very useful in the field." – Inv. A.M.
- " I appreciated that the facilitator listened and helped work problems out." – Ofc. J.I.
This course is not eligible for certificate discounts.