SECOND IN THE COMMERCIAL VEHICLE CRASH INVESTIGATION SERIES
Designed to further enhance the knowledge and skills you acquired in IPTM’s Commercial Vehicle Crash Investigation–Level I course, this class focuses on a detailed analysis of commercial vehicle systems and dynamics along with the application of your findings to the crash reconstruction.
We will begin by analyzing the ABS air brake system on commercial motor vehicle (CMV) truck-tractors and trailers by conducting tests to determine average air brake chamber pressure. You will participate in a “hands-on” field inspection as we conduct brake tests with a CMV.
We’ll teach you how to construct free-body diagrams and formulate equilibrium equations to determine the range of weight distribution on the axles. We will also examine quasi-static and dynamic rollover propensities and conduct an analysis of suspension spring rates.
After a review of high and low speed off-tracking, we will show you how to derive the equations for establishing maximum off-track distance. You will also learn how to interpret and analyze rotational motion that may be present in a CMV crash.
Finally, we will discuss the different types of transmissions used in today’s commercial motor vehicles and teach you how to obtain the range of speeds for the vehicle based upon the gear position at the time of the crash.
- Tractor-trailer ABS air brake system
- Hydraulic brake systems in commercial vehicles and how fluid pressures are boosted
- Quasi-static and dynamic rollover propensities and liquid loads
- Axle weight analysis and load reconstruction
- Speed from gear ratio
- Rotational mechanics
- Field inspection
Law enforcement and private traffic crash investigators, claims adjusters, engineers, attorneys, safety officers, military investigative personnel, animators and graphic designers
You must have completed, at a minimum, IPTM’s Advanced Traffic Crash Investigation and Commercial Vehicle Crash Investigation – Level I courses.
What to Bring
Other Courses in the Series
IPTM's Commercial Vehicle Crash Investigation - Level II course is eligible for 40 ACTAR CEUs.
What Our Students Are Saying
- “Greatly increased my knowledge to deal with commercial vehicle crashes and the data involved.” – Dep. T.S.
- “Practical outdoor exercises were invaluable to aid in understanding theories learned in class setting. Fantastic course with great, very knowledgeable instructors!” – Dep. L.T.
- “Very well put together course. Instructors are very knowledgeable in this field and are able to clearly present this material to the level of class participants.” – Ofc. W.D.
- “Great course. Definitely increased my knowledge and awareness of the data collected and its importance.” – M/Ofc. R.L.