Online instructor-led course conducted over ten consecutive weeks.
You must register at least 7 business days before the start date if you're in the U.S. and 21 if you're outside the U.S.
Traffic Crash Reconstruction builds upon IPTM’s Advanced Traffic Crash Investigation course by assisting you further in understanding vehicle dynamics. You will take part in a more intense study of time/distance calculations, two-dimensional momentum and impact speed calculations using momentum equations.
- Derivation and origin of the commonly used speed formulas
- Speed of vehicles at impact using conservation of linear momentum
- Behavior of vehicles in a collision using Newton’s three laws of motion
- Discussions of commercial vehicle and motorcycle dynamics in collisions
- The determination of direction of travel, initial contact and position of vehicles on the roadway
This course includes extensive project work to give you first hand experience in crash reconstruction. Each student will be required to diagram and analyze several different crash scenarios as well as complete vector sum analysis of each.
Law enforcement and private traffic crash investigators, claims adjusters, engineers, attorneys, safety officers, military investigative personnel, animators and graphic designers
Because of the highly technical subject matter, it is mandatory for you to have successfully completed IPTM’s Advanced Traffic Crash Investigation (80 hours) course or its equivalent.
Online environment: This course is interactive, instructor-led, and divided into weekly modules. At the end of each week, the current module will close and a new module will open. This way, the entire class progresses through the materials together, just like classroom training. There are no provisions for you to skip modules or work ahead of the rest of the class.
This is not a self-paced course. Although there are no specific times that you must be online, you will be required to complete assignments each week by the deadlines posted within the course. Hence, you must be committed to the course and invest the time necessary for successful completion. You should plan to dedicate an average of five to eight hours per week to the course activities.
The instructors will be available by email and on discussion boards throughout the course. They will be your guides and will assist you with questions and advanced discussions at every step along the way.
Computer requirements: You will complete the course entirely online. A dependable broadband internet connection with a Windows or Mac computer and Adobe Acrobat Reader (free download) are required.
For Florida Officers, this course will not qualify for Salary Incentive Credit for FDLE course "Traffic Accident Reconstruction."
IMPORTANT: Required materials will be shipped to you before the first day of class.
An accredited individual may retake IPTM’s Traffic Crash Reconstruction course for ACTAR continuing education units only once every five years (after their initial five year accreditation period) for the purpose of updating their skills.
Courses in the Series
What Our Students Are Saying
- "I feel like I have a solid understanding of the physics and math behind crash reconstruction. I feel confident that I can reconstruct most crashes that I may come across in my work." – Officer Z.S.
- "The project solution guides at the end of each project and quiz were very helpful. The convenience of the course online was also very helpful." – Detective/VHU M.L.
- "The course projects were great. I really enjoyed the more realistic approach with the provided information and finding out the different models. The instructor was helpful and very quick to answer questions and take calls!" – Ofc. J.S.
- "Having the opportunity to complete and correct assignments and quizzes multiple times helped me. I often gained more information and knowledge from repeating an assignment." – Ofc. D.S.
- "There was a lot of information. It was very robust." – Ofc. K.L.
- "I really enjoyed the long and complex problems." – Ofc. P.P.
This course is not eligible for certificate discounts.