Bloodstain pattern interpretation can play an important role in determining what happened at a crime scene. This intensive “hands-on” course will arm you with the skills to identify, analyze, document, and collect bloodstained evidence.
Through a variety of practical exercises, we will teach you how a bloodstain pattern is created and the physical mechanics involved. You will learn the various types of patterns that may be encountered and methods for determining their directionality and angles of impact on different surface textures. Together with an analysis of the evidence, you will see how to separate the patterns into events and determine the probable sequence in which they occurred.
We will also discuss the proper methods of photographing and documenting bloodstain patterns along with the proper handling and packaging of bloodstained evidence.
- Origin of bloodstain patterns
- Identification of stains and patterns
- Collection and preservation of bloodstain evidence
- Photography and documentation techniques
- Interpretation of bloodstain patterns
- Pattern analysis in scene reconstruction
- Case preparation and presentation
Patrol officers, newly assigned and seasoned detectives, investigations supervisors, crime scene technicians, medical examiner and coroner investigators, military investigative personnel and prosecuting attorneys
This class is restricted to active sworn and non-sworn law enforcement, investigators, and prosecuting attorneys employed by governmental agencies.
This course is IAI Crime Scene Certification approved.
What to Bring
- Appropriate clothing for field exercises conducted Tuesday through Thursday which may require bending, stooping or prone on the floor measuring, as well as documenting bloodstains created by veterinarian provided, preventatively tested animal blood.
- Camera and equipment to document field exercises
What Our Students Are Saying
- “I wish I had this course when I started my career as an investigator.” - J.H.
- “Great course! Being a homicide detective, I will now look at blood a different way. I will also recommend this course to any old and new detectives. Information provided is invaluable, great course, thank you.” - J.M.
- “Very detailed and organized. Lots of hands on activities which tied everything together.” - M.M.
- “Having taken a previous basic bloodstain class, this class was much more detailed and provided more educational information.” – M. F. Crime Scene Specialist
- “Taking this class again was a great way to sharpen my skills. I also took home more notes for report writing and courtroom presentation. Phenomenal job!!!” – S.G. Crime Scene Investigator
- "Excellent class! I learned a lot and I am excited to use it at a scene." - K.C. Forensic Tech.
- "Great class. Excellent mix of lecture and hands on exercises." - Ofc. M.M.
- "Practical exercises, not only viewing patterns, but making them greatly helped. This course taught me a lot more than I expected to learn in one week." - Det. T.E.
This course is not eligible for certificate discounts.