Rings True is a Sámi knitted mitten from the far north of Sweden. The museum piece these mittens are based on is held by the Nordiska museet of Stockholm and was obtained by the museum in 1925 after an expedition to Jukkasjärvi. This pattern is common in the area and can be seen in Sámi patterns in neighboring towns. This is an intermediate level course. Students should feel comfortable knitting, purling, knitting in the round and stranding.
The materials fee for this course is for the pattern provided upon registration.
Students will need to supply:
- Yarn Rauma Finull Pt2 (100% Norwegian 2-ply wool yarn, fingering weight; 191 yards [175 m] / 50 g [1.75 oz] ball); colors: one ball each in #418 red (MC), #4405 yellow (CC1), and #467 blue (CC2)
- Needles Set of 5 double pointed, size US 0 / 2 mm, or size needed to obtain gauge
- Notions Scrap of smooth waste yarn for thumb, 2 markers, a tapestry needle and a credit card or same size cardboard for making tassels
- Gauge 16 sts x 18 r = 2 in / 5 cm over stranded pattern, worked in the round and blocked
- Finished Size 7 ¼ (9 ½, 10 ½) in [21.5 (24, 26.5) cm] long, 3 (3 ¾, 4 ½) in [8.5 (9.5, 11.5) cm] wide and 6 (7 ½, 9) in [17 (19, 23) cm] circumference after blocking, excluding braid and tassel
Homework: Do a gauge swatch and make sure you are getting gauge on your needles