Combine bead embroidery and needle felting to create a unique landscape “painting” in this three-day workshop. Participants will bring a landscape image as inspiration for their piece. Students will create a simple needle felted wool background, then bead the foreground on their piece. Finally, students will frame their finished work. Students will learn some simple principles of composition, transferring patterns, and how to add depth & dimension to their work. Bead artist Jo Wood will introduce students to her favorite techniques for “painting” with beads as well as hints and tips that she has discovered during her 25 years of beading. Come join us for a fun and relaxed creative experience and learn a new skill for your future projects. Needle felting supplies and the frame will be provided for your bead and felt “painting” on a 4”x6” foundation. The instructor will also provide the needles, thread and some beads. Preview the instructor's bead embroidery style on her website by visiting jowoodbeads.com.
Some experience with hand stitching is helpful, but not necessary.
Youth ages 12 and up may register if accompanied by an adult.
- An inspirational landscape to use for your design (photo, pics from magazines, etc.)
- Beads- seed beads in size 10 to 15. Bring 6 or more colors. Choose a variety of surface finishes (opaque, matte, transparent, silver-lined, etc.) that work with your image.
- Bead mat
- Glasses or magnifier if you need them
- Mat knife (utility knife)
- Small tube of craft glue
- Feel free to bring any of your beads and felt supplies if you have them.