IPTM’s Drug Unit Commander course presents both basic and advanced investigative and management concepts for supervisors who are, or soon will be, commanders of drug law enforcement units. This course will give you the foundation to manage the unique personnel and complex cases that are typical of drug investigations, while protecting the credibility and integrity of your agency.
From the basics of unit organization and budgets to the advanced concepts of undercover operations and task force management, we will explore sensitive and critical areas of the investigation and management of drug cases. You’ll also learn the issues surrounding such topics as simulated drug use by investigators, employee drug testing, and managing liability risks.
- Overview of illicit drug traffic
- Organization and management of a drug unit
- Selection and evaluation of drug unit members
- Integrity problems - corruption issues
- Stress and stress-related issues of undercover operations
- Drug agent evaluations and burn out
- Task force and inter-agency relationships
- Drug unit policy formulation
- Managing the undercover operation
- Management of confidential funds
- Case studies
- Roundtable discussions
Drug unit supervisors and command staff, experienced narcotics investigators, supervisors who wish to improve their skills in unit management and investigators with supervisory responsibility - Class is restricted to sworn law enforcement officers and those personnel assigned directly to law enforcement agencies.
What Our Students Are Saying
“I am a new commander over narcotics division and I have had several years of experience in investigations but none dealing with drugs. The instructors were dynamic instructors with a wealth of knowledge and experience. They were patient and very professional. They provided me an excellent foundation to oversee our drug division.” – C.T.
- “Using real-world examples allowed us to prepare for future operations.” – K.I.