Sign In  |  View Cart  |    |  Help  |  
Return to Course Catalog

> Allied Health: All Classes > SUDP Fast Track Cohort

SUDP Fast Track Cohort   

SUDP Class Pic

It is anticipated that another cohort will begin Fall 2024. Please add yourself to the interest list below to be contacted when registration will open.

Substance Use Disorder Professional (SUDP) Fast Track

This online accelerated training program is for students to become a Substance Use Disorder Professional (SUDP) for Behavioral Health Professionals who are currently working towards or have earned a master’s level degree. The 15 credits are entirely online for eligible students who are interested in becoming an SUDP through the Alternative Training pathway. Students must hold an active license in good standing in the areas of the WAC 246-811-076.

The five courses are designed to meet the education requirements of the Washington Administrative Code (WAC 246-811-077) for alternative training. The courses teach to the TAP 21 addiction counseling competencies and are focused on preparing students to pass the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC) credentialing exam. In addition to coursework, students must complete supervised experience hours as required by the state to receive full SUDP credentialing.


Program Highlights

  • Expedited educational pathway for dual credentialing, only 15 credits required
  • Courses offered entirely online, weekly assignment, you can complete the program around your schedule
  • Complete the program in only 3-quarters
  • Courses designed specifically for masters and doctoral level licensed professionals


Estimated Cost


Textbooks Required:

Manuals/Modules need to be purchased through the NAADAC Website

  • There is no tuition cost for the Fall 2023 to Summer 2024 SUDP Fast-Track Cohort. If a student does not complete the program by the end of Summer Quarter, the student is responsible to pay full tuition cost for any classes not completed. It is not guaranteed that the SUDP Fast-Track classes will be offered after Summer 2024. Students are required to purchase their own textbooks.
    • Fall Quarter: (manual) Basics of Addiction Counseling Desk Reference: Module 2: Addiction Counseling Theories, Practices and Skills & Module 3: Ethical and Professional Issues in Addiction Counseling.
    • Winter Quarter: (manual) Basics of Addiction Counseling Desk Reference: Module 1: Pharmacology of Psychoactive Substance Use Disorders
    • Spring Quarter: (textbook) The ASAM Criteria:Treatment Criteria for Addictive, Substance Related, and Co-Occurring Conditions. 4th Edition Coming Nov 2023
    • Summer Quarter: No textbooks required to purchase 


Program Yearly Schedule

Fall Quarter:

  • HSER 119-- Laws, Professionalism and Ethics (3 credits)
  • HSER 222-- Introduction to Substance Abuse (3 credits)


Winter Quarter:

  • HSER 102-- Physiology of Psychoactive Drugs (3 credits)


Spring Quarter:

  • HSER 220-- ASAM Criteria and Treatment Placement (3 credits)


Summer Quarter:

  • HSER 225-- Individual, Family and Group Addiction Counseling (3 credits)


How do I register? 

Step 1 

Step 2

  • Once you have completed the Application for Admission and received your Student ID Number (SID), please activate your myHighline account.

Step 3

  • Once your myHighline account is activated, please contact the Continuing Education department at 206-592-3214 to register for your classes.



What other costs will there be?

Additional expenses for student:


How much work/how much time does it take?

Credit Load and Course Work.....What Is a Credit?

1 credit = 1 online class hour (50 min) per week + up to 2 hours of study time outside of class


Do I have time for this?

Consider your work/life balance and availability to schedule time for online courses. Each credit equals 1 hour of time reviewing course content on the computer, not including additional homework time. 


How does online learning look like?

Highline College’s online courses are hosted through Canvas learning platform. These online classes are not self-paced and require students to participate several days of the week. Review the following questions and consider your personal learning style and situation prior to signing up for an online course.

Are you able to schedule time to complete online work multiple times a week?

Are you able to learn without face-to-face interaction with your instructor and other students?

  • Can you create, save, and manage files on your computer?
  • Do you have reliable and consistent access to a computer and the internet?


How do I get help with the online aspect of this?

Learn how to use Canvas before classes start: For ITS assistance and support, please contact the Help Desk at (206) 592-4357 or email at


Who can take this program?

Eligible Students for Alternative Training (WAC 246-811-076)

A practitioner listed below who holds an active license in good standing may apply for certification as a Substance Use Disorder Professional using alternative training under WAC 246-811-077 or 246-811-078:

• Advanced registered nurse practitioner under chapter 18.79 RCW

• Marriage and family therapists, mental health counselor, advanced social worker, or independent clinical social worker under chapter 18.225 RCW

• Psychologist under chapter 18.83 RCW

• Osteopathic physician under chapter 18.57 RCW

• Osteopathic physician assistant under chapter 18.57A RCW

• Physician under chapter 18.71 RCW

• Physician assistant under chapter 18.71A RCW


How about accommodations for a disability?

Access Services

We want to make sure you have access to programs and facilities here at Highline College. The office of Access Services will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified students in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Federal Rehabilitation Act.


Is online learning right for me?

Check out the guidance on technology and computer skill requirements, as well as Canvas introduction here:


What are the credentialing requirements?

Students are encouraged to read the Washington Administrative Codes (WAC 246-811) to become familiar with the full requirements to become a Substance Use Disorder/Substance Use Disorder Professional. Students may apply to become a Substance Use Disorder Professional Trainee while completing supervised experience hours.

Education Requirements: (WAC 246-811-077)

To apply for Substance Use Disorder Certification with Alternative Training an applicant credentialed according to WAC 246-811-076 may meet the educational requirements for Substance Use Disorder Professional certification by demonstrating successful completion of fifteen quarter or ten semester college credits in courses from an approved school.

Course work on each of the following topics specific to alcohol and drug addicted individuals is required:

  • Survey of addiction;
  • Treatment of addiction;
  • Pharmacology;
  • Physiology of addiction;
  • American Society of Addiction Management (ASAM) criteria;
  • Individual group, including family addiction counseling; and
  • Substance use disorder law and ethics.
  • Course work must be completed for credit.
  • An applicant shall verify course completion by submitting official transcripts to the department. If the course title does not clearly identify the content area, the applicant shall provide the course syllabi.
  • An applicant who meets the educational requirements of this section is considered to meet the educational requirements of WAC 246-811-030.


Supervised Experience (WAC 246-811-046)

Students eligible for Alternative Training must complete supervised substance use disorder counseling to be credentialed through the DOH.

Examination (WAC 246-811-060)

Students must take and pass the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselor (NAADAC) National Certification Examination for Addiction Counselors or International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (ICRC) Certified Addiction Counselor Level II or higher examination.


For more information, please call Continuing Education at (206) 592-3785.


Some Title